Dec 31, 2010

Change.... always brings opportunity








Mark Twain said, "The only one who likes change is a wet baby."

I have always said that I like change. What I really mean is I like the change I choose. The change I desire. The change that looks exciting and good for me. 

Change comes around the corner without notice but always with opportunity.

My parents did the eulogy for my moms best friend yesterday.  It was not the kind of change they had prayed for.  They had prayed for healing and yet there they stood, my dad sharing scripture and a simple yet beautiful prayer for dear sweet Valerie.  My mom spoke of her high school friend, the chapel full of her family, her friends, her students... people who loved this woman, a woman who saw God with new eyes in her last days.

My own memories of Valerie and her family involve many visits to Florida, spending time on their boat, the parents going out to see Sammy Davis, Jr.  Riding horses with them when they came to visit us, barbecues on our back porch.  My memories are sweet when I think of Valerie. She was warm and beautiful. 

Valerie's children asked my parents to speak.
My mom had been concerned with sharing her feelings about Valerie and also the message of hope found in Christ.  She wanted to be strong in her sharing.  She didn't want to fall apart.  This is difficult for her.  She is a softy.....  I was a little concerned for her too.  I have good reason to be....:)

It took me back to a time when I was about 20.  My dog became very sick and I was carrying her to the car.  I needed my mom to drive me to the vet.  She totally fell apart and told me she thought  my dog was dying..... Really?!  This is not helping me at the moment!  Just get in the car and drive mom...... knowing I could not fall apart. Funny the things you remember.  Don't ask me about the dog.

Things change... and mom came through.  She had searched God and asked for his peace and that he would speak his words through her. 

Change came in that Valerie passed through the very thin veil of death and into eternity with her maker. How sweet that must be...... a joyful reunion with GOD.  God... really?  Yes, really.  No fear, no trembling, only the arms of Jesus welcoming her home.
Change came in that my parents found themselves in front of many people, some who didn't know Him as Lord of their life.  They were given the opportunity to minister to them, to share truth in love and bring glory to God.  The change they experienced was a blessing in exposing themselves to the world in all their pain and loss saying, "Its okay, God is still on the throne.  He has this covered, just like every other change that will come into our lives.  Nothing slips by him."  Praise God!

Change happens, get ready.  I look back on this year of my life and see huge change. Change in jobs, change in a home, a town, children becoming adults and picking colleges far away.... what, what?! :)

The change I want to see is in myself.  When I look in the rear view mirror of this year, do I see a change in me that is pleasing to God?  Have I trusted Him with the details of my life and moved for Him?  Have I said, Not my will, but thy will."  Am I willing to put nothing between Him and me?  That is the change that I want to see.
This change will bring opportunity. To serve, to love, to glorify Him.


"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20










No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy...