Jun 28, 2011

"Squirrel!"


photo
Do you ever get distracted?  
The plan is in your head and hand... cup of coffee, Bible, devotional, thoughts. You have the time, the desire ... the ideas are percolating. You want time with God and bam, before you know it you are vacuuming that floor that has been bugging you for days. 
You find yourself responding to a text, a phone call or cleaning up the breakfast dishes. The dog needs to be walked (so do you), your kids need something, the husband calls.... 
or like right now, as my son is responding to a text I sent him, because the Dentist called me, because I called him... you get the point.
You feel like a failure when you see the clock has ticked away two hours of your life.
"Not again!"

This appears to be my life. I also suffer from "Squirrel syndrome" as my husband calls it. I am able to multi think... similar to multi tasking, but more annoying, especially to others. I can flow (skip, flip, call it what you will) from one thought to another, in less than 1 1/2 seconds. Totally different subjects and thoughts, never the two shall meet. 
This may be a gift or possibly damage from not being medicated as a child. 
When this happens my husband looks up in the trees and yells, "squirrel".  He thinks this is humorous because I am responding as our dog does when she spots a squirrel. Kind of crazy, frantic and certainly driven.  Maybe he means this as a compliment. Hmm.....

When he does this it makes me laugh. It is a reminder to me, to be bring it back down.  Come back and join him. "Yes dear, now where were we?" Sometimes I can get a little loud and demonstrative... and off track. 

If I am not careful, this can grow into a bad habit, a poisonous weed... a lifetime of distractions. 
I was reminded today to stay on the path marked in front of me. God has chosen better for His children.





Luke 10:38-42 "Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.”  



Mary got it right. She knew what was important. This may have been her only chance to sit at Jesus feet. To sense the beauty that graced His words, His touch, His soul that loved them, even to death.



Despite my human failures, I feel the pull of Christ daily. He is able to work through my weaknesses and cracks in my physical being. My foundation is strong in Him because He is my source of strength. He is the solid rock, even when I have wandered.





I may still chase some squirrels with my physical being but I know whom my heart seeks and delights in.   I seek Him because He has shown Himself to me.


"Listening to God is a first hand experience... God invites you to vacation in His splendor. He invites you to feel the touch of His hand. He invites you to feast at His table. He wants to spend time with you."
Max Lucado




No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy...