May 2, 2014

23... A Psalm Of You and Me.

Happy Birthday Dad.

 I'm reading through the Psalms...
 If there was ever a Psalm of me... and you, it would have to be Psalm 23.
 I, me, my...

"The Lord is my Shepherd; I have all that I need." vs1
One my and two I's in the first sentence.
It gets better with each line.

Just what I needed this morning when I woke, thinking of my dad's birthday, though he celebrates in heaven.
Yay for him, sad for us on days like today.

Thinking of a gal on Instagram. Her name is Joy. Though we have not met, I pray for her. She is young, married and her husband is sick, really sick.
This brings deep emotion for me. Memories of hard days, fear, sadness. 
She is there, waking in the morning, tired from a night where the darkness tries to overtake her heart.
She must trust moment by moment.
It is a breathing in, breathing out, lifting those breathes up to the Giver of life.
He knows.

"Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for You are close beside me. 
Your rod and staff protect and comfort me." vs 4

Psalm 23 promises a Shepherd of details.... who knows our needs, provides rest, safety, comfort. Blessing, anointing, unfailing love and strength are part of the deal. In the end we live in the house of the Lord... forever. 
Did you get that last part?

"Surely Your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life and I will live in the house of the Lord forever."
It's real, not a fairy tale.
There will be an end to our earthly lives, the joy, the pain... and we will spend eternity with GOD.  
If we have accepted His gift of life. 
That is where dad celebrates his birthday today.

The God of details. 
Life is proof...
The melodies of the birds each morning. The flowers, foods, colors of the sky and fields we witness.
A witness of Himself, His power.
Gifts from Him... and reminders that 
God cares... about our details.

He is with us in our pain, our joy, every moment.
Maybe you are celebrating today or praying for answers.
If you are where my friend Joy is today...
hold on to the truths of Psalm 23.
It's your Psalm.
It's all about you.

"My cup overflows with blessing." vs 5

Life can be hard, crushing some days... don't quit, but don't do it all alone.
Allow Him to overflow in your life today. He is able and because of that.. so are YOU.





2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Dale. Thank you so much for all your prayers and encouragement. It means more to me than I could ever explain with words :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly Joy.. I'm so happy to hear things are improving for Derek. We can go boldly, yet humbly before our God, falling on our face, seeking His grace. He is GOOD. :) Blessings

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy...