Jul 16, 2011

I Love Camp!




I hate to go camping.
 Ask my hubby. It has never happened and probably will not, unless it includes Colorado and a big river and.....  someone to cook my dinner.  I would camp if it included Africa, a safari and pretty tents with indoor plumbing, or at least in tent plumbing ... and yes, someone to cook my dinner.

Before you judge me...
 I camped as a kid... and I camped as a teenager, but that was because we wanted to have massive parties without my parents recognizing that, we were not Just camping.

I do like camp. 
When I was a kid living in New York I went to a couple of camps. I recognize now this was an excuse for my parents to get rid of us for weeks at a time. Not judging... I totally understand that thought.

I  spent one week at a camp called Word Of Life. It was in the Adirondacks... believe me, it's as magical as it sounds. Tall pines, shimmering water, canoes and boats, and bats, and spiders ... 
 The camp for teenage students was on Island. You took a ferry ride. We felt like we were free from the world of adults for a week.
Maybe that's why I still like camp. Adults can be so..... adultish.
This camp was like Survivor and Gilligans Island wrapped into one. Well, maybe it wasn't anything like that, but most of the boys looked like Gilligan and if you could survive that food, you were considered a survivor.

This camp was a big deal in my spiritual life. It cemented some stuff for me. Who was God, did he really love me and have a plan for me? I was surrounded by people who loved Him and reflected that love to me. 
What a concept. What an impact it had on my life.

This week I get to be part of another camp. It's called FCA camp. Fellowship Of Christian Athletes. It is a free day camp for elementary through Middle school age kids. We have the best day camp in the country. I don't say that because I am on the board and I have anything to do with it's success.
The reason is the leadership and commitment level is solid and based on the foundation of Christ.

For 5 days, our staff and volunteers will minister to over 600 kids, coaching them physically and spiritually, showing them Jesus.
What a joy to witness.
I will help with some practical needs and I will watch people like my son, love on these students.
I will recognize the responsibility we have to these students. To always show love and grace, no matter how annoying that one kid is or how hot and sweaty and tired you are. 

Camp can be a great place for the soul. It may be the first time a person sees what it means to have a personal relationship with God. That's a big sentence and who can really understand it? Maybe it's easier for a young person to understand. God desires us to come to Him as a child.
He tells us in His word.

Matthew 18:1-6



1 At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” 2 He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. 3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me. 6 “If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy...