Feb 21, 2013

Building Walls Or Bridges...



We are good at building walls, when we should be designing bridges.
We draw borders, lines in the sand, don't cross it... or else.

My husband and I are in a class on resolving everyday conflict.
It is not because we need it... well, sometimes we do, he does.
We all have conflict in life. The minute we rise it begins.

Have you read this?
 Dear God
  So far today I've done all right. 
I haven't gossiped, I haven't 
lost my temper, I haven't been greedy, grumpy, nasty, selfish or 
overindulgent. 
I'm very thankful for that. 
But in a few minutes, 
God, I'm going to get out of bed, and from then on I'm going to 
need a lot more help.
 AMEN
More truth than fiction.

If I realized that every wrong doing offends God,
maybe I would hold my tongue, bite down on it, if need be.
Ouch.
Either I hurt my tongue or I sin against my God.
One causes long term damage, sometimes remaining an open wound for years to come.
My tongue will heal. 
The Bible calls the tongue a sword.

Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
 Proverbs 12:8

I was accused of that often as a teen... from the mother-ship.
It was true. My words cut deep and left lasting scars.
This built walls in my life.
Walls keep me from seeing truth, you, relationship on the other side.

Gentle, kind words build bridges. 
They provide a safe path over rough waters, finding communion and relationship on the other side.
I prefer bridges these days.

Remember the verse about the log?
I don't like it either, but it is true and I am usually guilty.

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
Matthew 7:3
 
 We have responsibility to own our part of every conflict.
If we call ourselves believers in Christ we have added responsibilty...
to be kind,
gracious,
gentle,
respectful.
 To be peacemakers.

I did not say doormat.
Peacemaker.

Seek to honor God and glorify Him in all you do.
There will be conflict in this life.
It is not always negative to have conflict. 
Sometimes it is necessary.

It is important that we seek God's provision and wisdom in the midst of conflict.
He will show us Truth.

Always look for the bridge in the situation.
It will not be easy and it will not happen quickly.
But... the bridge is the only way to the other side,
where relationship grows.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy...