Nov 13, 2013

The Perspective Of Yolanda....


A 21-year-old woman  lies exhausted on the debris-covered floor at a makeshift medical facility in Tacloban after giving birth to a baby girl "A 21-year-old woman lies exhausted on the debris-covered floor at a makeshift medical facility in Tacloban after giving birth to a baby girl. The storm surge swept away her mother." BBC


It's being called "absolute bedlam" with 10,000 lives lost, babies ripped from mothers arms, toddlers wandering the streets.... lost, alone, terrified. The stench of three days of piled bodies, while new mothers give birth along the street. Welcome to the world little one.
Eleven million people effected by this hellacious typhoon. Over six hundred thousand with no home. Without food and water for days, these people are in agony physically. Emotionally... they are wrecked and many will never recover. When your eyes have witnessed this terror the shock can be too much. 
I remember watching men board up windows with plywood, preparing for this storm. I said, "This is too big for that thin piece of wood and those nails." Deep down I had hoped it would be enough.

This is life in chaos, not the chaos we endure. This is worth getting upset over, different from what upsets most of our days. An unkind word, a car that cuts us off, kids who don't listen, mates who take us for granted, being on hold for thirty minutes, losing internet service at the worst possible moment.
Small, temporary annoyances. Not chaos, agony or anything to upset our day. Perspective... yet, I still can't wrap my brain around the devastation and grief this storm provided.

So today, when I start to wag my tongue about anything... I will stop and pray for the Philippines. I will pray for comfort, for hope, food and water to reach those about to give up. I will pray for new babies arriving into a world of pain and loss. I will pray for their mamas, that they will heal and protect these little ones. I will pray for relief teams, for protection and strength in the face of this monstrous disaster.

I will pray to remember gratitude.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy...