Oct 5, 2010

Main Man Moments

The other day i was reading, praying and really feeling Gods presence.
Lets face it, this isn't always the case.  Sometimes I am preoccupied with the life buzzing above my head and I am just trying to check things off my list. Imagine trying to check God off your list? Isn't he the last thing we want to check off? "Done with you for the day God. See ya tomorrow, if your lucky!"  Ouch , I think I have done that...... more times than I want to admit.

So, things were going really well between God and I and then I got a phone call.  Stop everything.....It was one of my kiddos. They were having a pretty hard day and needed to share. A scripture and song came immediately to my mind and I shared it. We talked for a while and at the end of the conversation this darling child of mine said, "thanks, i feel a lot better now mom." sniff, sniff.. I love this kid!

WOW, I could only offer that wisdom and help because I had been seeking Gods wisdom and direction for my life. In that moment I said thank you to God. Thank you for caring about every detail of my life. Thank you for showing me how to encourage my child. Thank you for keeping me strong and not crumbling when they felt they were about to crumble.

About 15 minutes later, as God and I were still hanging out I heard from my other child. This was a call about a good thing that had just happened and the surprise that my child felt.
I was able to celebrate with my child and tell them how happy I was for them. I was beaming for this kid. This kid rocks my world !

After both of these moments with my kids I was overcome with emotion. I realized how awesome and wonderful the God I serve is. He cares about everything that touches my life. He is in all of it. The moments of joy I feel and the darkness of grief. He was faithful to me in showing me how to encourage and support my children. Not in shallow,"you'll get over it. Tomorrow will be a better day" statements but in the declaration that they are loved by the God of the universe and he has a plan for them. A plan that will bless them and grow them.
 He has made them his vineyard, prepared the soil, planted the best grapes and pruned as needed.  This makes them grow strong in roots and sweet to the taste. They will last a long time because they are rooted well and will not wash away when the rains come.
They are his masterpiece and he has given me the blessing of helping him shepherd them until they don't need to be shepherded. Not sure if this ever happens as I still need it from time to time from my parents. They really do seem to get wiser with age. Funnier too :)

At the end of the day I felt I had received a special gift from God. He had touched me deep in my heart. It is hard to find that place sometimes because we hide it and protect it from hurt.
God digs deep because it makes us transparent. It peels away a layer or two, letting others see in and hopefully see Jesus.
God had blessed me with an opportunity to help and to celebrate. Nothing life changing happened to my kids that day. But, it was a day and a moment I won't soon forget.

Would I have missed the blessing if I had been hanging out with someone else.  Oprah or Target or a good book. Nothing is wrong with those things but sometimes we forget to hang out with our main man, early and often. He needs to be the voice in my head and not someone else.

Thanks big guy, for holding my attention more and more.

1 comment:

Don't be shy...