Jul 6, 2011

Just a beginner...Oh Yes I Am

truth-small.jpg


I read a daily devotional called 'My Utmost For His Highest".  It is a classic by Oswald Chambers and I have picked it up and put it down many times over the years. 
There were days that it made little sense to me.
 I just could not grasp the depths of it. 
Oswald was a deeply spiritual man and he must have had a close, intimate relationship to God. 

These days I seem to hunger for the wisdom I find in each page. I am not sure why I understand and feel the power of his words now. 
They have not changed.  They are the same truths that God spoke through him 100 years ago, but now they seem relevant to me. 
I love that words penned on paper one hundred years ago are personal and feel as they are spoken just to me.
Truth doesn't change with the times.

Don't misunderstand... I am still a beginner in all of this.
 As Thomas Merton said, "We do not want to be beginners, but let us be convinced that we will never be anything but beginners... all our life." 

That is somewhat of a comfort to me, and a powerful reminder. 
The life of faith in God, the Creator of all that is good. The Deliverer, the Conquerer, The King who came as a Babe to bless and fulfill us.....
How could I be anything but a beginner in light of who He is. 
And yet, that is enough.

"By reading the scriptures I am so renewed that all nature seems renewed around me and with me. The sky seems to be a pure, a cooler blue, the trees a deeper green. The whole world is charged with the glory of God and I feel fire and music under my feet.'' 

Thomas Merton was an American Poet, writer, Catholic Monk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy...