Oct 24, 2012

Wednesday Wisdom... Cowboy Style

 Staying with the theme of Thankfulness I thought I would look to wisdom today.
Cowboy Wisdom
to be specific.....

* Generally, you aint learnin much when your mouth's a-jawin.
    * If you're ridin' ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and then to make sure it's still there with ya. 
* The only good reason to ride a bull is to meet a nurse.  

* Treat a woman like a racehorse, and she'll never be a nag.
*When you give a lesson in meanness to a critter or a person, don't be surprised if they learn their lesson.
* Don't mess with something that ain't bothering you. 

*Don't dig for water under the outhouse.
* Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.  
* Never slap a man who’s chewing tobacco. 
* Never miss a good chance to shut up.

Ah... seems Cowboys got it going on.
I have reminded my husband of the racehorse/nag saying, while he has mentioned never missing a chance to... well, you get the idea.
 Lots of wisdom if we are willing to listen.

Proverbs 10:19
When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.

Yesterday I was at a Bible Study and the speaker talked about yielding to others. 
I get it, I see the benefits and I know my flesh (plus being from N.Y.) wants to be first.
It's always a race, a competition...
 I know yielding can be a blessing... if I let it happen, you know.... yield. 
In my head it's more like slamming on the car brakes, while everything fly's in front of me, in slow motion.
I must call it a stop sign.
Yield is an option... to me.
Ah, the devils in the doing.
Literally...

I left the study and stopped by one of my favorite shopping haunts (TJ Max. Don't judge me)
As I approached the register, actually in line, a woman pushed by me, mumbling excuse me.  I thought she was in line with another person in front of me.
Not the case. 
She ended up in front of me, waiting impatiently.
She turned at one point, looked directly at me.
 I smiled. 
She did not.
 Hmm, didn't I just yield to you lady? 
You know you should be behind me...

This time I was at total peace. 
I was not annoyed. 
 I felt a bit sad for her. She seemed in a rush, preoccupied.
Maybe she was late to work, out of work, had a sick child at home. Perhaps she was a single parent, or had a sick parent... or just having bad day.
We all have them.

I'm glad I didn't miss that chance to shut up. 
I miss wisdom most days.
 My mouth is a-jawin when I need to be shuttin it.

I am thankful for Wisdom. The Good Book is full of it... 

Proverbs 1:7
Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.  

Proverbs 4:6-7
Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you. Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding.
Where do you seek wisdom?







No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy...